Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

What happens if failed glucose test during pregnancy

Apparently many pregnant women failed their second glucose test.

Blame it on the urge to binge or the sudden cravings for fast food and carbonated drinks.

Anyway so what happens next?

Well for me, my nurse at KKIA (Klink Kesihatan Ibu dan Anak) immediately rang me up for a next day appointment for BSP (short for Blood Sugar Profile).

I suspect this is the same standard test for diabetic.

Basically it's a test done for sugar level AFTER 2 hours of every meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner) which inadvertently mean you'll be spending the whole day in the KKIA.

Bummer!!

Double bummer for me because my nurse did not explain properly the procedure so I ended up starving until 230pm before my lunch because I was under the mistaken belief that I must take a before-eating-blood-sample for each meal.

Why 230pm? Cos the KKIA closes from 1 to 2pm. No one explained that I just eat at 1230pm and come back at 230pm to draw blood :(

SO BASICALLY WHAT HAPPENS IS:-

1) You fast 10 hours (last meal was before 10pm the night before), then at 8am you take a control blood test (TEST 1).

2) Go for your breakfast, then wait 2 hours then go back for TEST 2.

3) Go for your lunch at 1230pm or 1pm then go back for TEST 3 after 2 hours.

4) Go for your dinner at 6pm then go back for TEST 4 after 2 hours.

Sounds simple right?

Still I managed to mess up my BSP test.. haha.. Well at least it's good news that they will not be drawing blood for 6 times but only 4 times.

Note the results are immediate because they use the same device which diabetics use to monitor their sugar level.


So since my mother have the device, I did all future tests at home because I have to control my diet and monitor the glucose level with BSP (blood sugar level) every 2 weeks until I deliver my baby.

Not only that, I have to do MGTT test (click this link for more info on MGTT glucose-test-during-pregnancy-mgtt) after 6 weeks of delivery.. Hmm... Guess monitoring glucose level is pretty serious business during and after pregnancy!

UPDATE:- my result for the glucose test AFTER delivery came back normal!! So means I'm not diabetic! So failing the test during pregnancy does not mean you are diabetic.

Just have to control your food intake during pregnancy so that you do not pass a high glucose level to your baby during delivery.


No comments:

Post a Comment