Pages

Monday, December 2, 2013

Yokohama car battery warranty procedure

I drive a MYVI and being a local car, one is not surprised if the car battery die on you shortly after the 1st year.

Since it happened after dinner at my parents house, I called a mechanic friend, Mr Koh Chon Wai ("Mr Koh") and went to his workshop (STM Motor) nearby to buy a Yokohama battery for RM220. Mr Koh mentioned that the price was higher because the battery was a dry type battery which is better and will last longer.

Since it was late, I just paid and he did not give me any bill (which on hindsight was a very grave mistake on my part). 

On 3/9/2013 the Yokohama battery which is supposed to last longer died.. But since I do not have any bill, I cannot remember the exact date of purchase but my husband feel that it is definitely less than a year.

So I contacted Mr Koh through WhatsApp and ask for his help.

To cut the story short, what I learnt from this are:-
1) always ask for bill
2) for Yokohama car battery, you can go directly to Yokohama to claim a new unit if it is less than a year
3) Yokohama CANNOT trace the warranty date through the serial number on the warranty card.
4) the date is written on the car battery itself.



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

The ending of my story? It was quite sad actually.

I bought a new dry type Yokohama battery for RM200 elsewhere.

And I had stupidly given back the old battery together with warranty card to Mr Koh thinking he can help me to check.

But instead he just told me that warranty was over and proceeded to offer me another battery at cheaper price of RM170.

Below are the excepts of my WhatsApp conversation with Mr Koh:-







See.. he's a friend because he asked
about a mutual friend's wedding..


Finally on 2/10/2013 I found the entry in my 2012 diary which recorded me buying the battery on 4/12/2012.



But when I called him on 2/10/2013 to ask, he first said he sold the unit and then changed it to he threw it away. Tsk.. What kind of answers are those??

But since he would know how to check the warranty date, he either:-
a) sold me an old unit hence the warranty was really over OR
b) the warranty was still there and he claimed a new unit from Yokohama.

Then he proceeded to offer me a new unit for RM150 but when I protested he offer to share half half and offered me a battery for RM100 whenever I need one since he reasoned that we cannot keep a car battery for too long.

VERDICT:-
I will NOT recommend Mr Koh's workshop to anybody because he charges higher than others and has questionable honesty and integrity. Besides, it does not make sense to send your car to a motorcycle workshop for repair / service. Lesson learnt!


Photos courtesy of withelwyn.com

Photos courtesy of withelwyn.com






6 comments:

  1. Car battery is the very important part of your car so its warranty is also very important at the time of purchasing extended warranty for your car battery there are certain issues which should be solved in the beaning so be carefully select the car battery warranty


    AMT Warranty.

    ReplyDelete


  2. Here's how to bring ANY dead battery back to life again..

    Hi

    If you hate buying new expensive batteries …I have good news!

    There’s an easy new way to bring your old batteries back to life again …so you never have to buy new pricey batteries again!

    >> Click Here To Learn How <<

    The average person spends $15,000 on batteries over their lifetime…

    But this fast and simple method eliminates that entire cost and lets you save thousands over your lifetime on battery costs!

    >> Click Here To Learn How To Do This Simple Method & Bring Any Dead Battery Back To Life <<

    Tom (who you meet in the presentation) has to limit how many people learn about this secret technique (you learn why in the presentation).

    So if you want to learn this simple new way to bring ANY old battery back to life again…

    Then stop what you’re doing and watch this presentation while you still can.

    >> Click Here To Watch The Presentation <<

    Best Regards,
    Kevin Day

    P.S. if the links don't work in the email, you can watch the presentation here: >> Click Here To Learn How <<


    ReplyDelete
  3. Children's car, car battery, children's electric car, children's car ride, children's pool, inflatable pool รถแบตเตอรี่

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Odyssey PC680-P battery is a cheap battery for cars, highly resistant to vibration.Get more information visit:PowerGenixSystems

    ReplyDelete
  5. I buy also yokohama battery for my suv less than a year only 11 months the battery was discharging,when i park i cant start my car,i went to a dealer he did not change my battery

    ReplyDelete