Pages

Friday, May 5, 2017

My dog ate my RM50 note... went to Bank Negara for help

So your dog ate your money? Welcome to the club!

It happened when my husband was taking out his keys to the door, a RM50 note fell out from his pocket. Since it was dark, he did not notice until morning and all that was left was shreds and pieces.

Sob.. the dogs ate my RM50...
All that was left from the back   :(

So a bit research show that you can actually go to Bank Negara Malaysia to get "mutilated" or damaged notes exchanged for a brand new one.

The guidelines from Bank Negara as per their website at http://www.bnm.gov.my was:-

"There are three categories of redemption value of a mutilated note as follows :-
(i) Full value should be awarded to any piece of note which is more than two-thirds (2/3) in size of the original note or;

(ii) Half value should be awarded to any piece of note which is more than half (1/2) but less than two-thirds (2/3) in size of the original note or;

(iii) No value should be awarded to any piece of note which is less than half (1/2) in size of the original note".

Err.. so my case is 2/3 or 1/2? Plus my notes did not have the full serial number... Yikes!

So I went to Bank Negara to try and was basically given a piece of paper to glue the mutilated notes (see photo below for sample of the white paper). Then the "expert" will determine how many percent is left.

Sample of the white paper

The staff at the counter was sure my case was a total write off but thankfully, perhaps due to the fact that it was during Chinese New Year week, I was given FULL VALUE!

Yippee..! This was good news to the dogs otherwise they might have to fork out RM25 (since I was quite sure that it's more than 1/2) by hook or by crook through food rationing (evil laughing - Hey don't judge me.. RM50 is not money to be eaten by dogs you know).

So as member of this club, now you know about the implications of 2/3 and halves in money changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment