Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Hong Kong prepaid SIM card

When expecting to receive or make calls during travel, it is always wiser to get a local prepaid SIM card.

I learnt this the hard way during my trip to Bali when I incurred RM10 even though I immediately hang up when my call to a Malaysian number went into voicemail. It's RM10 for 1 second!! :O

This was partly because I was not on the "preferred network" with Maxis - Telkomsel.

I also learnt that if I used a 120 prefix (for Maxis) when calling from overseas to Malaysia, I can get cheaper roaming rates. All these information are not publicized by the telco companies so you have to go to their websites to get more information.

Anyway I just want to highlight that the SIM card in Hong Kong is such value for $$ as the card comes in dual size. How clever!

I would think that it is cheaper for telco to have this design so that they do not need to produce and keep stocks for 2 sizes of  SIM cards right?

But Malaysian and Indonesian telco seems to think otherwise. Duh..

So most of the time some mobile phones vendors will just use a "puncher" to make the SIM card smaller for smart phones.. How primitive :(

Let's hope that our country will catch up with all these advanced countries soon.

Dual size SIM card


comparison between Maxis and Hong Kong SIM cards




No comments:

Post a Comment